The Jefferson Elementary School in Tracy, California opened in 1929 at its current location. Some of the original buildings still remain on campus, however, as the District has grown and as new schools have been constructed the learning environment of the Jefferson Elementary School has fallen short when it comes to up-to-date, equitable learning facilities in the District. The Jefferson School District passed their Measure J Bond in 2010 with a commitment to the community to reconstruct and/or replace the facilities at Jefferson School. PJHM Architects has been working with the District on this comprehensive modernization / reconstruction / new construction project that consists of the following: Demolition of approximately 15,000 square feet of circa 1920s and 1950s permanent classroom/cafeteria buildings and removal of 9 relocatable classroom buildings. These facilities will be replaced with 40,000 square feet of new permanent construction classroom, administration, library and gymnasium facilities. The existing gymnasium constructed in 1940 will be modernized and expanded to become a multi-purpose/food service facility.
Site work includes the addition of a 500,000 gallon water tank to serve the domestic and fire water requirements of the site. Replacement of the existing septic system. Improvements and upgrades to the electrical service, paved play, turf play and expansion of the parking lots.